Friday 19 April 2013

I Swear I'll Never Doubt Again (52 Books #9)

The first book I picked out of my mammoth pile was The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency. To my shame, despite the popularity and my love of Alexander McCall Smith's 44 Scotland Street series, I have never made any attempt to pick up one of his No. 1 Ladies books. I even bought this one on a whim rather than making a pointed effort to seek it out. Here is why I bought it:


This copy had such a lovely cover and I really like the stamps inside the front cover (there are also scribbles in the back too). I like a book that's traveled and this one feels loved and appreciated. 

Then I started reading... and all I have to say is I will never again doubt or question Alexander McCall Smith.  I was in love from the fourth line:

"Then there was a teapot, in which Mma Ramotsew - the only lady detective in Botswana - brewed redbush tea. And three mugs - one for herself, one for her secretary, and one for the client."
Quiet frankly any book where tea is placed in such high regard was going to be a winner for me, and this is no exception. From there I just fell more and more in love with the story, the characters and the place. I have no doubt that a lot of this is to do with McCall Smith's own love of Botswana, it shine's though the text pulsing through every word McCall Smith committed to the page.

Anyone who's read through any of my other book related posts will know I'm not a plot spoiler and I don't go into vast amounts of detail. The reading of a book is a personal thing and everyone takes from it what they believe is the most important and each subliminally bookmarks their favourite moments. I like to talk in terms of how it makes me feel and "if you like x/y/z give it a go!" A traditional crime book this is not but it was a joy to read and if you, like me, are an Alexander McCall Smith fan and you have not read this book... well what are you waiting for!

Hope the pages keep turning!

Nelly x


No comments:

Post a Comment